#LAGOS_HUSTLES (GULLIBLE NIGERIANS)

23:18 Unknown 3 Comments

I am seated in a BRT bus, close to the window. I'm looking out at the Lagos I see before my eyes, the mainland in all it's glory, alive and bustling with so much activities, so much vigor, so much fiestiness, looking at the medium class cars riding along as opposed to the high class cars on the island, the agberos screaming out places at bus stops, people crossing the road haphazardly, hawkers hustling for some change to take home at the end of the day, people taking a dive (shitting) around dumpsters in ghetto areas and shanty slums just by the Third Mainland Bridge, the shanty shacks people live in that make my eyes twitch at their sight. It's hectic, I know, but I also know that it's not today Lagos started being hectic, what with the congestion of people.

Then I'm looking at how blue the sky is, so full of potential I can't even see my limits, the endless horizon bordering the island on Eko Bridge, pregnant with endless possibilities and opportunities, the birds flying above the horizon, making me want to spread myself and just fly with them. My mind is reeling different thoughts as I stare out the window...

I am jolted back to reality and the noise in the bus. This tall, slim man who could pass for mid-thirties or close to forty is yelling at the top of his voice, trying so hard to market his "goods".

".... E get wetin we dey call epilepsy!! Epilepsy!!! When pesin go just wake up one morning fall down like say him dey possessed. Solution dey!!! That one, if you get am, na your mama go cure am. If your mama still dey alive, make she wake up one early morning, piss for inside potty. She go use the piss wash her face in the morning. You go see am. The pikin wey get the epilepsy no go get am again. If your mama no dey alive, wetin you go do be say you go wake up early in the morning, piss for inside cup. Then you drink the early morning piss. Your epilepsy go clear kia kia!!!  All this one, you go see am for inside this herbal book wey I hold for hand so. Yes? Yes?? Yes!?!? Healthy living, ogbonge, tried, tested and trusted.... "

If I had to look in the mirror to see my facial expression at that point, it'd be priceless. I'm so alarmed and disgusted at such fakeness! I look around and people are buying that book. And then I ask myself this: when will some Nigerians ever stop being gullible?

3 comments: