#LAGOS_HUSTLES (DON'T CHEAT ON AN IGBO MAN)

10:42 Unknown 0 Comments

So there I was, hustling from Ilupeju to the industrial area of Oregun. Halfway along at Ikeja along, the morning traffic was weakening from the sight of it so I decided to test my luck with a bike man on recommendation of a recharge card seller because I "thought" I was running late and in a haste... 
Me: Oga ekaaro, bawoni? How much to Billings Way, Oregun? 
Bike man: *nods heads* #600.
Me: *mouth wide open* kini eleyi? (what's that?) for what? Why you no collect 1k ni? *in my mind I'm trying to flex my minute yoruba skills, but this man just had to figure that he could cheat me and get away because I'm not yoruba*
Bike man: na 600 we dey go! *defiant * Abi how much you go pay? 
I turned on my heel without replying and took the trek to Ikeja under bridge, running and walking at the same time in the midst of a bustling arena of cars and people in a jam. I spent far much less for a bus fare and smiled to myself. You've just got to shine your eyes like "thief man torch" or else "one chance" is where you will find yourself....

Lagos never ceases to amaze me. I've learnt the hard way to be careful with whomever I ask for directions. Some people will just take it upon themselves to make sure you get lost. It's like some people were born to dupe and cheat. It's like it's wired in their DNA....

But then I've figured a long time that you can never really cheat on an igbo man. You can't cheat on him and get away with it. If you think you can, you better watch out. The igbo man will take back double of what you took from him and if you're lucky, he won't leave you completely dry. Try as you might, the average igbo man is just too clever to sense when he's being cheated on. It doesn't just work! Little wonder the Oba of Lagos wanted us to drown in the lagoon probably because he felt intimidated? *rhetorical question* *shrugs*

Eko o ni baje laiye laiye!

0 comments: